Friday, August 29, 2008

U.S. Open day---no, not golf, TENNIS!


So, this is what tennis in N.Y. is like? Well, today was certainly a fun day in Flushing Meadows, NY watching 2nd and 3rd round matches at the US Open. Curious about prices these days? I know I was considering our media cries "recession" every day of the week. Let's see a program was $17, ice cream bars were $5 and a soda in a souvenir cup was $9. As alarmingly high as these figures are, people were scooping them up left and right. Just a day after our 2nd Quarter GDP was revised upwards to 3.3% (the most in a year), money was flowing fast and free at the Open. I saw quite a few people spend $17 on a jam packed program. Just for a PROGRAM!

The tennis was pretty good too. I actually saw a serve today of 135 mph. If you blink, you've missed most of these serves. I was disappointed the Williams sisters played yesterday (meaning they would not be today) and that Andy Roddick was playing in the night session (we had to leave at 6:30 pm), but I still found it enjoyable. I usually don't enjoy the men's games so much because I enjoy rallies and most of the contests are nothing but a quick serve and either no return or a short return. We saw a couple of base liners today, so there were some good, long rallies. I also saw Roger Federer who is going for his 5th consecutive US Open title and 14th grand slam title. This guy is amazing. He played very so-so today, and still won in straight sets.

This fulfilled a childhood dream of mine. I spent many years watching and playing tennis with a friend of mine. We spoke many times of going and the fun it would be. Now I can check it off my list. I want to thank Connie for putting up with the day, as I'm sure there were many other things she would rather have done! Now how do I make it to Wimbledon??



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments.